Wednesday, September 01, 2004

A dedicated follower of fashion...?

OK, most people who know me probably wouldn't describe me as a dedicated follower of fashion. In fact, if I'm ever actually in fashion, it's usually because I'm coming at it from the opposite direction. Polo shirts are back in fashion this season? That's good, 'cos I'm still wearing my St. Andrews University Cycling Club polo shirt that I got 7 years ago...

So, as I'm so unfashionable, I'm going to say something terribly unfashionable.

I love the new Scottish Parliament building.

OK, from the outside it's not that loveable. Until you go up to Regent Road, and look at it from above, where you see how it echoes the shapes of Arthur's Seat and Salisbury Crags. Until you get inside it and see the intricacy of the detail, the windows in the ceiling of the Garden Lobby. The beautiful floor in the Black and White Corridor.

OK, so it has its mistakes too. The "think bubbles" (or bay windows to the rest of us!) are too small and two people have been injured whacking their heads trying to look at the view, the MSPs' researchers desks are about the size and shape of ironing boards...

But it's beautiful inside. I was on a tour of the site roughly a year ago, wearing steel toe capped wellies, a hard hat and a very fetching yellow bib, and although I could see the rough shapes of the building, I just couldn't imagine it finished. I couldn't get excited about it.

But I went on a tour of the building today, and adored it. I know it cost £431 million. I know it's years behind schedule. It's been worth the wait. And as the money's already gone on it, there's nothing that can be done about it, so it's time to draw a line under that and just enjoy the building. Please go on a tour of the building. You might just like it...

Now, where did I put that polo shirt...?

2 Comments:

Blogger MissAstridxxx said...

Hello there,
I know you posted this way back in August but I'm new to the blogging thing so forgive me.
I just wanted to say that I agree with you about the building it is amazing from the inside. As someone who has studied art ( not to poncy though honest ) I like to think I have a good 'eye' for these sort of things but what was he thinking when it came to the outside? Seriously.
Was loving the fact that I was applying for a job there as I'd be working in such a lovely place.
However got offered another job and never heard anything back from the Parliament so will just have to admire it from afar.
SK ;)

22 December 2004 at 18:33  
Blogger Mike said...

I adore the building from the inside - and there are parts of the outside of it that are beautiful too - but too much of it isn't, when you're close to. I far prefer seeing the building from Arthur's Seat, where you get the feeling that it is echoing the shapes of Salisbury Crags, and the grassed areas are now looking like a link between Holyrood Park and the Parliament building itself.

I've never studied architecture or art, but there's something about the building I love.

Just outside the Members' Bar and Debating Chamber, there are a series of vertically hung strips of fabric, protruding outwards from the wall, that always intrigue me... they're in all different colours, and it's just a gorgeous little touch.

8 February 2005 at 23:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home