Monday, September 06, 2004

Kind of Blue

Just back from my folks' in Durham. Spent the weekend down there. I always seem sad these days coming back to Edinburgh.

It's close on 5 years now since I moved to Edinburgh full time. And I seem to miss home more than ever. The longer I'm away, the worse it gets. So I'm kind of blue this evening.

I've only a couple of really close friends who live in Durham (and Newcastle) any more. All the rest of them have moved to London, or wherever it is people move to get away from Durham.

And despite the fact that I've got so many friends now here in Edinburgh, in Glasgow, in Stirling, I find I'm missing my folks more, my roots, my dogs!!

Perhaps I'm just a country bumpkin at heart too, getting desperate to escape from the city, back to the countryside?

Or perhaps I'm just getting depressed that I've got work in the morning as it's always a Sunday night that I drive back up from Durham!?

Anyway, tonight I've been out to watch the final concert from the Edinburgh Festival - the Fireworks Concert - met one of my friends, Steph*, to go and see it from the roof at work. There was quite a crowd of us there. Sadly, the cloud base was so low (just a few feet above the Castle) that most of the rockets that were fired just vanished into the clouds never to be seen again. Never mind, it was still nice to see the Castle with white sparks cascading down its sides.

Tonight I'm listening to: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Flamenco Sketches, to be precise!)
Tomorrow I'll be: back on the hamster wheel...


* There, happy now? ;-)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home